16 new coronavirus cases in Butler County
Gov. Tom Wolf issued no additional COVID-19 mitigation measures Friday as Butler County adds 16 new confirmed cases.
According to Friday's report by the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Butler County's latest addition of cases brings it to a total of 490 confirmed cases throughout the pandemic. The county's death toll remained at 14.
Meanwhile Butler Health System reported another decrease in hospitalized COVID-19 patients.
On Friday, Butler Memorial Hospital was treating three patients for the virus, which was two less than its report Wednesday.
Instead of imposing further restrictions, Wolf and Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine reiterated points made by the administration throughout the week, including the need for last week's executive order to combat a recent resurgence of the coronavirus statewide.
“We are taking action right now to make sure that we get through this as quickly as possible,” Wolf said.
As part of her update, Levine said the southwest's struggles with increasing cases appears to have plateaued, but the problem has been statewide all along with the southwest serving only as the epicenter for the resurgence in recent weeks.
“Things seem to have stabilized, we're going to watch that, in the southwest, but we're having significant increases in the southeast, and really throughout the southeast,” she said.
Preceding Wolf's order last week, Allegheny County imposed a shutdown beginning July 3 of bars, restaurants and casinos, as well as gatherings of more than 25 people.
Health officials, including Levine, have applauded the decision made by the county's health director Dr. Debra Bogen.
In Friday's report, Allegheny County added 198 confirmed cases and two deaths to its totals, and Philadelphia reported an increase of 227 confirmed cases.
Levine said it will take everyone's effort to reverse the upward trend of cases.
“What we need to see is everything going in the opposite direction,” she said.
Wolf said this especially becomes true since many districts have put together plans to return to school in the fall. He said he supports the decisions of getting students back to their studies, but he encourages everyone to do their part in doing so safely.
“We need to work together so that parents are comfortable sending their child to school,” Wolf said. I'm doing everything to make the situation for you and your children as safe as possible.”
