Manziel enters treatment program
CLEVELAND — Johnny Manziel has sought help to change his off-field lifestyle.
Following a rough rookie season in the NFL, Manziel has entered a treatment program for unspecified reasons, an adviser for the Browns quarterback said in a statement released by the team on Monday.
“Johnny knows there are areas he needs to improve on to help him be a better family member, friend and teammate, so he decided to take this step in his life during the offseason,” Manziel adviser Brad Beckworth said. Beckworth said the former Heisman Trophy winner entered the unnamed facility last week. He said Manziel’s family is asking for privacy until he rejoins the team.
Beckworth’s statement did not indicate reasons for Manziel needing treatment. However, the 22-year-old QB’s penchant for partying followed him from college into the pros and Manziel’s nightlife has been well-chronicled by both social and mainstream media.
The location of the facility where Manziel is staying is not immediately known.
Browns general manager Ray Farmer said in a statement that the team fully supports Manziel and respects his initiative in entering treatment. The team will respect Manziel’s privacy during treatment, he said.
Citing privacy laws, a Browns spokesman declined to provide any further information about Manziel’s situation.
Browns wide receiver Andrew Hawkins offered his support to Manziel on Twitter.
“Much love and support to my brother Johnny,” Hawkins wrote. “Proud of him, big step. Football is secondary. God Bless!”
NBA superstar LeBron James, who is both a friend and business partner of Manziel’s, also expressed his support for the young QB.
