Winfield man charged with pulling pistol on man, boy
SAXONBURG — A Winfield Township man waived his preliminary hearing Wednesday on charges he pulled a gun and pointed it at two other people — a man and his 10-year-old son.
No one was injured in the incident earlier this month in Winfield Township.
Brandon A. Guthrie, 30, is charged with a top count of attempted aggravated assault, a felony. He also is charged with terroristic threats, simple assault, reckless endangerment, disorderly conduct and harassment. He is free on $5,000 bail.
A 40-year-old man contacted authorities around 7:20 p.m. July 15 to report an altercation with Guthrie that apparently started after his son and the defendant got into an argument, police said.
Guthrie showed up at the man's home on Maplecrest Lane, and the two men got into an argument during which the suspect pulled a silver handgun from his waistband, according to charging documents.
Police later identified the gun as a 9 mm pistol.
“Guthrie then pointed the handgun toward (the man) and the (boy),” documents said.
The man recounted that when he approached the suspect to defend himself, Guthrie placed the gun back into his waistband and left the home.
The boy, police said, corroborated his father's account.
Troopers went to Guthrie's house. Police found him home, and they also recovered the gun there. He allegedly admitted to pulling out the pistol inside the victim's home.
Guthrie's attorney, public defender Ryan Helsel, did not return a telephone call seeking comment.
