Crews respond to Penn Township chimney fire
PENN TWP- A chimney fire at a Penn Township home spread to the roof and caused significant damage Saturday afternoon.
Crews responded around 11 a.m. to 164 Royal Oak Drive for reports of the fire.
According to Jack Ripper of Penn Township police, the homeowners and neighbors were attempting to douse the fire when he arrived.
“They had a ladder up against the house and a garden hose,” he said.
Three people were in the house at the time as well as three dogs, but all made it out safely.
Ripper said the fire spread to the living room, which is over the garage. It was put out by fire departments within an hour.
“The firemen got it knocked down pretty quickly,” he said.
The left side of the house was destroyed, and crews were shoveling out insulation and debris well into the afternoon.
The homeowners declined comment, but Ripper said the house was not a total loss.
“It’s only the second or third time they’ve had a fire in their fireplace this year,” Ripper said.
Penn, Butler and Middlesex township volunteer fire departments, Saxonburg Volunteer Fire Company, Middlesex Township police and Butler Ambulance all responded to the scene.