Site last updated: Friday, May 22, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Redevelopment authority reports on projects

Work on one street delayed for soil testing

Two of three street reconstruction projects in Butler funded by Community Development Block Grant money through the Butler Redevelopment Authority have been completed.

Independent Enterprises of Oakdale, the contractor for both projects, recently finished the work, which included a $3,378 change order.

One project included reconstructing Euclid, Spang, Sumner and Cottage Hill avenues, sidewalks and 14 curb ramps at a cost of $205,110. The change order was for additional work on the road base of Sumner Avenue.

The second project included reconstructing Glenn, Slagle and Standard avenues at a cost of $71,073.

The third project to reconstruct Kaufman Drive from the intersection with Lincoln Avenue to 80 Kaufman Drive has been delayed, so soil taken from the site can be tested for contamination.

Veronica Walker, acting executive director of the authority, said the testing is required by the landfill, where dirt from the site is being taken for disposal. The testing will cost an additional $695.

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection halted the project last month for an inspection to determine if the project was causing additional contamination from arsenic, which was left years ago by the Franklin Glass Plant. Arsenic underlies the area and was encapsulated and covered with soil to protect the environment.

Work is expected to resume the week of Nov. 23 or Nov. 30 and take 10 days to complete, Walker said.

Folino Construction of Oakmont was awarded a $103,000 contract for the project.

In other business, Walker told the board that a $200,000 owner occupied housing rehabilitation grant awarded by the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency is being held up due to miscommunication.

The agency sent the authority a contract for the grant money to the Butler County Redevelopment Authority, she said.

After reaching out to the agency, she said she received a contract, but it named the county redevelopment authority and said the money was for a different grant program.

That happened a month ago, and the authority is still waiting to receive the correct contract, Walker said.

Fred Reese, authority chairman, instructed Walker to have solicitor Tom Breth contact the agency if the contract is not received soon.

Reese also asked Walker to schedule a meeting with Butler City Council to negotiate a new cooperation agreement between the city and authority next week. The most recent three-year contract expired Oct. 1.

So far, the city proposed a nine-month contract in which the authority would retain 10% of CDBG money to cover administrative costs, and the authority's counter offer was an 18-month contract and an 18% administrative fee. The previous contract also provided the authority with an 18% fee.

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS