Adams supervisors review burn ordinance revisions
ADAMS TWP — The wind picked up Monday night as supervisors met outside to discuss, among other things, updates to previous revisions of the township's burning ordinance.
One revision would allow recreational burning at any time.
Earlier this month, the board presented residents with its plan to update the burning ordinance, which was established in 1989 and hasn't been revised since.
Township leaders hope to make it less restrictive for residents.
Russell Ford, supervisors chairman, said Monday that public comments made at the Aug. 10 meeting about the ordinance revisions were helpful.
“We actually really appreciated the comments,” Ford said.
Ford said the township sent a draft of the newly revised ordinance to four community members who attended the first meeting for their input on the draft.
“We then took some of that comment,” Ford said. “We actually modified (the draft) again. And we are really in the final stages.”
Ford cited a few changes made to the initial revision, including the elimination of a recreational burning curfew.
“Recreational burning will be allowed at any given time,” Ford said. “If you want to have a campfire and do s'mores at 4 o'clock in the morning, as long as you are being responsible ... you're going to be OK.”
Ford said other modifications include how far a fire can be from a building and the removal of the term “yard waste.”
At the Aug. 10 meeting, residents explained to the board that the materials classified as yard waste needed to be clarified.
“I don't want to get into a debate tonight of what yard waste is,” Ford said Monday. “We took it totally out of the burning policy.”
Ford said as the revised ordinance now stands, township police will be responsible for vetting complaints resulting from burn material.
“Our police will determine accordingly whether we have a problem,” Ford said.
A draft of the revised ordinance will be posted online this week for public review. Ford said the township is adding some “agricultural language” at the suggestion of a resident.
Township resident Tina Wilson asked what the process will be moving forward.
“When you say it has to be advertised, will it be like a public hearing?” Wilson asked.
Ford said after the draft is posted online for public review, changes to the ordinance will be advertised.
Michael Gallagher, township solicitor, said a public hearing isn't necessary because the ordinance doesn't fall under municipal planning code.
If residents have additional comments on the proposed revisions, Ford said, the township will take those under consideration. The revised draft will be posted for two weeks.
Ford is hopeful the revisions will be approved before the fall. “It could be ... the end of September until we actually get the burning ordinance done,” Ford said. “I'm optimistic.”
