Site last updated: Sunday, May 24, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

2 Butler teenagers charged in shooting

Butler police arrested and charged two teens Thursday for a shooting that sent another teenager to a Pittsburgh hospital.

The suspects — ages 15 and 16 and both of Butler — were arrested following a police investigation. Both boys share a last name and address listed in court documents. The Butler Eagle is not identifying the teens due to their ages.

District Judge Lewis Stoughton arraigned the pair Thursday, and no bond was given to either teen because they were considered a danger to society.

Both boys are in the custody of the Butler County Juvenile Probation Office, according to Doug Ritson, chief county probation officer. They are being held at PA Childcare, a secure facility in Allegheny Township.

According to the affidavit, city police were dispatched around 12:25 a.m. Thursday to investigate a shooting on the 500 block of West Cunningham Street.

Officers found Dalton Anthony, 18, of Butler, “laying on the sidewalk bleeding from a gun shot wound to his lower left leg and a second to his right ankle.”

The victim was taken by ambulance to Butler Memorial Hospital, where he was later flown to the emergency room at Allegheny General Hospital.

The extent of his injuries were unknown, but police said they believe he is in stable condition.

Police said in responding to the call, they found the victim and tended to his injuries until a medical crew arrived.

The affidavit said detectives later spoke with the victim, who said he had been walking with friends in the area when he realized he had been shot.

“He tried to run and was shot again,” the affidavit said.

Officers found 9 mm bullet casings on the driveway in front of the Brookside Apartments, prompting them to review Butler City surveillance cameras in that area, according to the affidavit.

Through camera footage, police identified the victim and a group of people he was walking with that was moving from Pillow Street toward West Cunningham as well as another group of people walking west with a white dog on West Cunningham Street.

In the video, police allegedly saw the 15-year-old boy give a handgun to the 16-year-old boy. They saw the boys turn toward the rear of the Brookside Apartments. Police said the video shows the older boy giving the victim the middle finger before the shooting.

The affidavit said police identified the alleged shooter with corroboration from multiple witnesses. Police found both boys at the home of the 16-year-old’s girlfriend. Police also found the white dog with them.

While being interviewed, the shooter allegedly admitted he and the victim had recent conflicts, including the victim threatening him.

The affidavit said the 16-year-old told police he saw the victim approaching him while he walked with his friends, and he “feared (the victim) was going to shoot him.”

The 16-year-old then allegedly told the police he asked the 15-year-old for the pistol, and in response to asking if he flipped the victim off, he had raised the pistol in the air, hoping it would scare the victim off.

According to the affidavit, the 16-year-old told police the victim continued to approach, and he shot him.

The affidavit also noted police saw a black Chevrolet sedan driving north on Pillow Street stop abruptly to avoid the incident. The vehicle was in line with the shots that were fired.

A hearing has been scheduled for 2 p.m. Sept. 7 before District Judge William Fullerton.

The 16-year-old has been charged with felony aggravated assault, felony conspiracy to commit aggravated assault, felony possession of a firearm by a minor and misdemeanor reckless endangerment of another person.

The 15-year-old was charged with felony conspiracy to commit aggravated assault and felony possession of a firearm by a minor.

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS