Trump narrows VP list to 5 or 6
NEW YORK — Shifting swiftly to the general election, Donald Trump says he’s narrowed his list of potential running mates to “five or six” people and is leaning against accepting public money to finance a fall campaign against likely Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
But in a break from recent major party nominees, Trump does not plan to invest heavily in a data-driven effort to target voters in the fall campaign. Despite pressure, the billionaire businessman also does not expect to release his tax returns before the November election.
“There’s nothing to learn from them,” Trump told The Associated Press in an interview Tuesday. He’s cited an ongoing audit of his finances as the main reason for withholding the information, and also has said he doesn’t believe voters are interested.
Trump’s comments came as he begins to ramp up for a long, expensive general election campaign. His two remaining Republican rivals suddenly dropped out of the race last week, anointing him the party’s presumptive presidential nominee faster than even the confident candidate expected.
As part of his general election planning, Trump told the AP at his office in New York that he’s moving aggressively to identify a running mate with deep political experience. While he would not provide a full list of names, he did not rule out New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, the former rival whom he’s already tapped to head his transition planning.
