Water barrier goes up at site of deadly Fla. alligator attack
ORLANDO, Fla. — Construction workers have put up a waterfront barrier at the Grand Floridian hotel in Walt Disney World, three days after a toddler was killed by an alligator at the resort.
Meanwhile, Disney World released a photo of signs it plans to erect. The red, white and black signs say “Danger! Alligators and snakes in area. Stay away from the water. Do not feed the wildlife.”
Previously, signs had said simply “no swimming.”
“We are installing signage and temporary barriers at our resort beach locations and are working on permanent, long-term solutions at our beaches,”
Construction workers put up wooden posts connected with rope along the edge of the Seven Seas Lagoon. The beach area remained closed Friday.
Tuesday night, an alligator snatched 2-year-old Lane Graves of Nebraska as he played around the shore of the Seven Seas Lagoon. After a 16-hour search for the boy, divers with the Orange County Sheriff’s Office found Lane’s remains Wednesday.
On Friday, the Orange County Medical Examiner’s Office said it was releasing Lane’s body to his family. Arrangements are under way to bring him back to Nebraska.
Numerous tourists have come forward since the tragedy with their own stories of seeing gators at Disney World. One employee at the Grand Floridian said he had warned management to fence off the area after a couple alligators swam up close to the shoreline. Many visitors questioned why signs didn’t more explicitly warn about alligators for out-of-state tourists who may not have realized the dangers.
