Site last updated: Monday, May 18, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Incognito starting for Bills

PITTSFORD, N.Y. — From being labeled an NFL bully to Buffalo Bills starter: guard Richie Incognito took a big step in his return to football following a 15-month hiatus that placed his career in jeopardy.

Three days into training camp, coach Rex Ryan named Incognito the team’s starting left guard. Ryan made the announcement Sunday, when he included Incognito along with center Eric Wood and left tackle Cordy Glenn as three offensive linemen he regards as starters.

“One thing’s for sure, Richie’s a starter,” Ryan said. “He looks about as good as any of them.”

That’s a significant step for Incognito, the eighth-year player who signed a one-year contract with Buffalo in February. He had been out of football since midway through the 2013 season, when he was suspended for being a central figure in a bullying scandal that led to offensive lineman Jonathan Martin leaving the Dolphins.

An NFL investigation determined Incognito and two other Dolphins offensive linemen harassed Martin, who played for San Francisco last season. Incognito went unsigned last season despite being reinstated by the NFL.

“It was a long road back,” Incognito said. “It was dark times. And it was something at times I didn’t think was going to happen. But I’ve been blessed with an opportunity.”

Incognito thanked Ryan, general manager Doug Whaley, his teammates and new Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula for giving him the opportunity to play.

“A lot of people laid their neck out on the line for me,” he said. “And I just wanted to prove them right.”

More in Professional

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS