GOP will unveil Zika funding plan
WASHINGTON — A senior Republican lawmaker said Friday he’ll unveil additional funding next week to battle the Zika virus in hopes of a quick vote in the GOP-controlled House.
Appropriations Committee Chairman Harold Rogers said the anti-Zika measure will be financed by cuts elsewhere in the budget.
The Kentucky Republican briefed colleagues on the measure Friday morning and spoke to reporters afterward. While short on details, Rogers’ measure is expected to provide significantly less than a bipartisan $1.1 billion Senate measure that was released on Thursday. The Senate measure declares combating Zika an “emergency” and provides its funding on top of the current $1.1 trillion limit on agency budgets.
The administration has already diverted about $600 million in previously appropriated funds to combat Zika, which can cause microcephaly, a severe birth defect, as well as other severe health problems. House Republicans are insisting that there’s plenty of additional money sloshing around various agencies that can be used.
The White House issued a chilly response.
“Here we are, three months after the administration has put forth our proposal that he comes forward with a much smaller one that is inconsistent with the recommendations of our public health professionals,” said press secretary Josh Earnest.
The administration is urging lawmakers to deliver additional anti-Zika funds before Congress recesses for Memorial Day.
