Juvenile allegedly stole gun that wounded him
The gunshot that wounded a 14-year-old boy in Butler on Friday, Jan. 29, was self-inflicted, and the gun used was one of several he and another juvenile are suspected of stealing, city police said Monday.
Police responded to an apartment on West New Castle Street about 6:30 p.m. for a report of a person who had been shot. The 14-year-old was found with a gunshot wound in his right arm.
It initially was reported as a robbery in which unknown individuals entered and shot the juvenile, Police Chief Bob O'Neill said.
After interviewing the victim and several witnesses, it was determined that no robbery took place, and the gunshot wound was self-inflicted, he said.
The boy was flown to UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh and is stable condition, he said.
Police responded to a home in the city to take a theft report on Jan. 25 and were told several firearms were stolen from an unlocked vehicle overnight. O'Neill said investigators determined the weapon used in the shooting was one of the stolen guns.
After interviewing several other juveniles, police said they learned the 14-year-old and another juvenile stole the firearms from the vehicle.
The investigation is ongoing as one of the firearms is still missing. Upon completion of the investigation, police will contact the Butler County Juvenile Probation office and file appropriate charges, O'Neill said.
