Snuffing out chewing tobacco
BOSTON — From storied Fenway Park to youth baseball diamonds across the city, Boston Mayor Martin J. Walsh is calling for a ban on dip, snuff and chewing tobacco.
With former Red Sox pitcher and mouth cancer survivor Curt Schilling at his side, the mayor on Wednesday proposed banning smokeless tobacco products from all city professional and amateur athletic venues.
“Kids shouldn’t have to watch their role models using tobacco, either at a neighborhood park or on TV,” Walsh said, standing at home plate of a South Boston baseball diamond. “Ballfields are places for mentoring and healthy development. They’re no place for cancer-causing substances.”
Schilling, who revealed earlier this year he was diagnosed with mouth cancer after decades of using chewing tobacco, described his battle with the illness, which he said is in remission.
“It was more painful than anything you could imagine,” he said, addressing the dozens of school-age kids in attendance. “I couldn’t swallow. I had to eat from a tube. I was sick every single day. And if it came back, I don’t know if I would go through the treatment again. It was that bad.”
The 48-year-old ESPN analyst acknowledged Walsh’s proposal will likely meet resistance from major league players, but he believes they will eventually come to accept it, just as they had when smoking was banned in ballparks years ago.
“This is about our kids,” Schilling said. “We have to accept the responsibility that we impact the decisions and the choices that they make.”
Under their union contract, MLB players aren’t banned from using smokeless tobacco products, though they can’t use them during televised interviews and can’t carry them around when fans are in the ballparks.
The Red Sox organization applauded Walsh’s proposal, which requires City Council approval.
“We all know the horrific and tragic stories of ballplayers who have suffered the consequences of using smokeless tobacco,” the team said. “Our focus on baseball — and on bringing children closer to the game — fortify our resolve to cooperate in this effort.”
Red Sox manager John Farrell said Wednesday night that the tem supports the proposed ban because it wants to project a positive image to the city’s young people.
“We recognize...that (those of) us in uniform are examples to the youth of Boston, and I think in any major league city,” he said. “Young people are going to look up to guys on the field and in uniform.”
Farrell who was at Yankee Stadium in New York, where the Sox beat the Yankees 2-1, said his team offers “ongoing education” about the health issues associated with smokeless tobacco.
