More Russell Brand sexual misconduct accusers come forward
Russell Brand is reportedly facing new accusations from more women, following a published article of allegations of rape, sexual assault and abuse by five women on Saturday.
Several more women have come forward to the U.K. newspaper, The Times, in the wake of the claims that the British actor, author and comedian raped a woman against a wall in 2012, sexually assaulted a colleague in 2013 and physically and emotionally abused ex-girlified Jordan Martin.
Government minister Caroline Nokes has called for Scotland Yard to investigate the allegations against Brand.
“These allegations are incredibly shocking and criminal, and I would very much hope that complaints will be made both to the Metropolitan police and indeed in the States, because this merits and needs a criminal investigation, because for too long we have seen men – and the perpetrators of these sorts of crimes are almost invariably men – not being held to account for their behaviors and their actions,” the Women and Equalities Select Committee chairman told BBC Radio 4’s “Today.”
The Metropolitan Police said it is aware of the reporting and is encouraging victims of sexual assault to contact the force.
“We are aware of media reporting of a series of allegations of sexual assault. At this time, we have not received any reports in relation to this. If anyone believes they have been the victim of a sexual assault, no matter how long ago it happened, we would encourage them to contact police,” a police spokesperson stated.
The English funnyman is already feeling the brunt of the controversy. The remaining dates of his “Bipolarisation” tour have been postponed by promoters, according to Variety. A talent agency and a book publisher reportedly also severed ties with Brand.
Brand, 48, denies the allegations and claims his relationships and encounters were “absolutely always consensual,” despite his “promiscuous” past. He described the reports as a “litany of extremely egregious and aggressive attacks.”
The former BBC radio presenter initially found widespread fame as a host on MTV U.K. before getting cast in Hollywood hits including “Forgetting Sarah Marshall” and the remake of “Arthur” in 2011. Brand was married to pop star Katy Perry from 2010 to 2013.
LOS ANGELES — Kim Petras fans, the wait is over. The Grammy-award winning German popstar has surprise released her previously shelved and partially leaked debut album, “Problematique.”
Across 10 tracks inspired by French house music released Monday, Petras' makes a bold reclamation of her artistic autonomy: from the funk-y “Born Again,” to the smooth retro-pop of “Dirty Things” and the playfully materialistic “All She Wants,” which features “Stars Are Blind” singer Paris Hilton.
“It was shocking when I found out part of the album leaked — at the time — that it wasn’t ever going to come out, especially as I poured so much of myself into it. I was heartbroken but, at the same time, it was really exciting to see my fans listening to the tracks and loving them,” Petras said in a statement to The Associated Press.
“Now that I’m able to put them out, it’s just so freeing to have more music that I love out in the world and officially share them in a way that all my fans can hear them."
That opinion is shared by Hilton. “Recording ‘All She Wants’ at Kim’s house was so much fun," she said in a statement. "The song is all about being unapologetically fabulous, a sentiment both Kim and I live by."
The road to “Problematique” has been a difficult one. In 2021, Petras signed with major label Republic Records and announced the album — then scheduled to be her full-length debut — but it was eventually scrapped and leaked.
It was a disappointing turn of events for Petras and her fans, who had long awaited her first album. It wasn't until June that she released what would become her actual debut, the flirty, Eurodance-pop “Feed the Beast."
That arrived 15 years after the launch of her career and followed a few history-making events: This year, Petras became the first openly trans artist to win in a major category at the Grammy Awards for her playfully sacrilegious collaboration with Sam Smith, “Unholy,” in the best pop duo/group performance category. The same song, re-released as a bonus track on “Feed the Beast,” went No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100, making her the first trans artist ever occupy the top spot.
Releasing “Problematique" now, in some ways, is a way to keep her fans on their toes — and a way of taking something that was stolen from her and packaging it in a way that feels true.
“I don’t ever want to be predictable or repeat myself, and it reminds me of when I was an independent artist and able to put things out on my own schedule and keep people guessing,” she said. “I just hope everyone loves the new music as much as I do.”
The album was released due to fan demand and in advance of her “Feed the Beast” world tour, which kicks off on Sept, 27 in Austin, Texas, and concludes in Milan on March 5. Petras says fans can expect to hear some of their favorite tracks from across her vast discography.
“When I was thinking of opening night, it popped into my head that I wanted to add some of the songs from ‘Problematique’ on the set list. My Feed the Beast Tour is about all these different sides of me — from my ‘Clarity’ project, to my ‘Slut Pop’ EP, and my ‘Turn Off the Light’ mixtape — so why not include ‘Problematique’ if people are already somewhat familiar with it?
“And then I thought, why not just release the album," she said.
NEW YORK— Bill Maher has delayed returning to his HBO talk show during the ongoing strike by writers and actors, a decision that follows similar pauses over the weekend by “The Drew Barrymore Show,” “The Talk” and “The Jennifer Hudson Show.”
Maher last week said he would bring his show back into production, but on Monday said he'll wait because talks are scheduled to begin between producers and writers on Wednesday.
“My decision to return to work was made when it seemed nothing was happening and there was no end in sight to this strike,” Maher said via social media. “Now that both sides have agreed to go back to the negotiating table I’m going to delay the return of ‘Real Time,’ for now, and hope they can finally get this done.”
Barrymore, who drew criticism for taping new episodes of her daytime talk show despite the ongoing writers and actors strikes, said Sunday she'll wait until the labor issues are resolved.
“I have listened to everyone, and I am making the decision to pause the show’s premiere until the strike is over,” Barrymore posted on Instagram on Sunday . “I have no words to express my deepest apologies to anyone I have hurt and, of course, to our incredible team who works on the show and has made it what it is today.”
Talk shows are covered under a separate labor contract — the so-called Network Code — from the one actors and writers are striking. The Network Code also covers reality TV, sports, morning news shows, soap operas and game shows.
Barrymore’s initial decision to return to the air Monday — without her three union writers and with picketers outside her studio — was met with pushback on social media. Her show resumed taping in New York last week and was picketed by striking writers.
“We support Drew’s decision to pause the show’s return and understand how complex and difficult this process has been for her,” said a CBS Media Ventures spokesperson
Other daytime shows have resumed. “The View” has returned for its 27th season on ABC, while “Tamron Hall” and “Live With Kelly and Mark” — neither are governed by writers guild rules — have also been producing fresh episodes.
“The Talk” also scrapped its restart, planned for Monday. "We will continue to evaluate plans for a new launch date,” CBS said in a statement Sunday.
The ongoing strike pits Writers Guild of America and the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists against the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which represents Disney, Netflix, Amazon and others.