Prince Harry says he lacked support after returning from Afghanistan
LONDON — Britain’s Prince Harry says he didn’t have the support he needed when he returned home from combat in Afghanistan as he reached out to other veterans in a new Netflix series about the Invictus Games for injured soldiers.
The new series launched on Wednesday on the streaming service.
In talking about post-traumatic stress disorder, Harry said that his return from Afghanistan in 2012 triggered emotions that he suppressed after the death of his mother, Princess Diana, when he was just 12 years old. The prince, whose troubles with the royal family have been chronicled in the past, said the impact of Diana’s death was never discussed.
“The biggest struggle for me was no one around me really could help; I didn’t have that support structure, that network or that expert advice to identify what was actually going on with me,” Harry said. “Unfortunately, like most of us, the first time you consider therapy is when you are lying on the floor in the fetal position probably wishing you had dealt with some of this stuff previously.”
“Heart of Invictus” features a group of injured soldiers as they prepared for last year’s Invictus Games in The Netherlands.
Modeled after the Warrior Games in the United States, Harry founded the Invictus Games in 2014 as a Paralympic-style event designed to inspire military veterans around the world as they work to overcome battlefield injuries.
Harry and his wife, the former Meghan Markle, signed a lucrative contract to produce content for Netflix after they stepped away from royal duties in 2020 and moved to Southern California. “Harry & Meghan,” a six-part series detailing the couple’s split from the royal family, premiered last year.
Harry, who is also known as the Duke of Sussex, appeared at a preview screening of the new series in California on Tuesday, telling the audience about the sacrifices veterans and their families make while serving their countries.
TEL AVIV, Israel — Israel’s far-right national security minister lashed out at supermodel Bella Hadid on Friday for criticizing his recent fiery televised remarks about Palestinians in the occupied West Bank.
In a TV interview following two deadly Palestinian attacks on Israelis in the occupied territory, National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir argued that his right to freedom of movement as a Jewish settler outweighs the same right for Palestinians.
“My right, the right of my wife and my children, to move around Judea and Samaria is more important than freedom of movement for the Arabs,” Ben-Gvir said Aug. 23.
Addressing Mohammad Magadli, a well-known Israeli-Arab television host who was in the studio, Ben-Gvir added: “Sorry, Mohammad. But that’s the reality.”
Hadid, a supermodel and social media influencer whose father is Palestinian, shared an excerpt from Ben-Gvir’s interview with her 59.5 million followers on Instagram on Thursday, writing: “In no place, no time, especially in 2023 should one life be more valuable than another’s. Especially simply because of their ethnicity, culture or pure hatred.”
She also posted a video showing Israeli soldiers in the southern West Bank city of Hebron telling a resident that Palestinians are not permitted to walk on a certain street because it is reserved for Jews. “Does this remind anyone of anything?” she wrote.
Ben-Gvir responded angrily Friday to Hadid’s post.
“I invite you to Kiryat Arba, to see how ... every day, Jews who have done nothing wrong to anyone in their lives are murdered here,” he wrote on X.
Protesters thronged outside Ben-Gvir’s home in a West Bank settlement Friday to condemn his remarks. The catchphrase “Sorry, Mohammad” became meme fodder for social media as critics posted it alongside videos of Israeli violence against Palestinians.
PHOENIX — Sweltering heat in Phoenix, Ariz., that has routinely broken records this summer led to yet another canceled concert, with rapper 50 Cent calling the triple-digit temperatures “dangerous.”
Rapper 50 Cent postponed his show scheduled for last Tuesday at Talking Stick Resort Amphitheatre, an outdoor venue, because of the weather.
“I’ll be back in Arizona soon! 116 degrees is dangerous for everyone,” the rapper, whose real name is Curtis Jackson, wrote on social media.
National Weather Service meteorologists in Phoenix said Monday’s high topped off at 117 degrees Fahrenheit. Tuesday’s temperature reached 116 degrees, which broke the previous record of 113 degrees for Aug. 29, set in 1981.
50 Cent joins the likes of other musicians whose shows have been impacted by the area's scorching temperatures this summer.
In July, Disturbed postponed its concert, saying equipment wouldn't work in metro Phoenix's excessive heat. That outdoor show has been rescheduled for March 2.
At country singer Morgan Wallen’s July 19 concert in Phoenix, some fans complained that some concession stands ran out of water. Others said they left the venue early because of the hot conditions.
There was no immediate word on when 50 Cent’s Phoenix show will be rescheduled.
From combined wire services