Site last updated: Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Company pleads guilty in electrocution

New court documents said a Lancaster Township company has fully cooperated with investigations that led to its guilty plea, stemming from the electrocution death of one of its employees.

On Sept. 17, the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Western District of Pennsylvania filed a joint memorandum alongside defendant Insight Pipe Contracting.

“Insight Pipe has been an 'open book' since the time of the incident and has fully cooperated in the OSHA investigation, providing all requested information to OSHA inspectors in a timely fashion and encouraging its employees to speak openly and honestly with OSHA,” the documents said.

The memorandum serves as a narrative for the company pleading guilty to one misdemeanor count of willful violation of OSHA regulations causing the death of an employee, and it also recommends sentencing based on the agreement.

Prosecutors are seeking three years of probation, a special assessment of $50 and a fine of $20,000.

The maximum penalty for the offense could be five years of probation, a fine of $500,000 or both. Within the court documents, it was noted Insight Pipe Contracting has received only one minor fine in the past 20 years and has had no other issues with OSHA.

On April 12, 2018, company employees were working on a job site in Johnstown. The company specializes in the inspection and rehabilitation of sewer systems, typically contracting with municipalities and other government entities.

According to court documents, the project being worked on ran into complications, and employees attempted to solve the problem by using a telehandler forklift too close to active power lines.

“Unfortunately, a field tech who had been with the company for approximately six months, and who was one of the two spotters that day, put his hand on the telehandler at a time when the telehandler came too close to the power lines,” the documents said.

The employee was not named in the documents.

On Monday, Diane Reiber, administrative manager, said they took the death seriously and took immediate action to bolster their safety standards.

“We're still deeply saddened by the loss of our employee,” Reiber said. “This was a tragic accident.”

According to court documents, the company spent about $127,000 in safety equipment the year after the accident.

“We've updated our safety requirements and guidance to be in compliance with all the rules, regulations and safety standards,” Reiber said. “We strive each day to be a good corporate citizen and commit to serving the region with the highest safety standards.”

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS