City hopes businesses can reopen
Butler officials are hoping the businesses impacted by Saturday's fire downtown are able to reopen as soon as possible.
The fire started around 8:15 a.m. in Sir Speedy at 229 S. Main St. The fire left that building heavily damaged and resulted in smoke and water damage to the neighboring businesses: Edward Jones Investments, Reclamation Brewing and Miller's Shoes. The cause of the fire hasn't been determined.
“When you look at that block of Main Street, it is one of the more vibrant blocks on Main Street, with quite a few businesses that are doing very well and are an important part of the downtown landscape,” said City Councilman Bob Dandoy, the director of public safety. “To lose several like that in one fell swoop is heartbreaking for our downtown area.”
One of the worst things about the fire is that it occurred as the COVID-19 pandemic, which caused hardship for those and other businesses, is beginning to wane, he said.
“I'm hoping they're able to continue the business in whatever form happens as we move forward,” Dandoy said. “We just have to see what the future brings as they begin working with insurance (companies).”
He commended the city fire department and the many volunteer fire departments that responded. The manpower and the ladder trucks that some of the volunteer departments deployed prevented the fire from causing more damage.
“It could have been that whole block in a blink of an eye,” Dandoy said.
Fires in taller buildings, such as the Sir Speedy building, are the reason the city needs a ladder truck, he said.
City Council ordered a new ladder truck last year to replace its previous truck, a 1998 model that was damaged while the department was fighting a fire in March 2017. The truck was not repaired because parts were unavailable for it. Council sold it for $20,001 in October 2018.
“Having that truck is needed,” he said.
City code official John Evans said the condition of the buildings will be assessed, and letters telling the property owners what corrective action is needed to repair the structures will be prepared.
The property owners can't do any work on the buildings until their insurance companies assess the damages and the state police fire marshal's investigation is complete.
In the meantime, the fronts of the businesses have been cordoned off, and East Vogeley Street will remain closed for safety purposes, Evans said.
Councilman Mike Walter called the fire “devastating for downtown,” and said he hopes the businesses can reopen.
“I hope they can get back up and running ASAP,” Walter said.
He also commended the volunteer fire departments that responded to the alarm.
“Mutual aid works well,” Walter said. “It's a good system, especially in small communities. I'm glad there was no loss of life.”
Councilman Jeff Smith said he talked to some of the affected business owners, and they are optimistic about the future.
“Everybody I talked to is positive,” Smith said. “I think everybody wants to get back on their feet. It's a shame when something like this happens. Hopefully they can get back up and running.”
The block of Main Street where the fire took place is “architecturally one of the nicest looking blocks downtown,” he said.
