Site last updated: Sunday, May 24, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Another death added to county virus total

7 new confirmed cases reported

State data released Wednesday shows one new death of a county resident due to COVID-19 as state officials discussed assistance and preparation for returning to school.

According to Wednesday's report by the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Butler County added one death to its total of 18 COVID-19-related deaths since the beginning of the pandemic.

The report also showed an addition of seven new confirmed cases among county residents. The number of county deaths and cases are determined by the person's permanent residence, even if the person is currently located in a different municipality.

Butler Health System did not report any new deaths since its report Monday.

On Wednesday, BHS reported one less inpatient at Butler Memorial Hospital, with three confirmed cases of COVID-19 being treated there and one of those patients being treated in the intensive care unit.

Clarion Hospital also is treating one confirmed COVID-19 inpatient in its ICU.

On Wednesday, a joint news conference was conducted with the state departments of Human Services, Health and Education.

Human Services Secretary Teresa Miller announced the temporary suspension of some regulatory policies on school-age child care.

She said the removal of the restrictions allow for more flexibility in child care options during traditional school hours for children who are distance learning. She used an example of families creating collectives or learning pods with other trusted families in their community.

Miller said her department is also working to establish or expand day programs through organizations such as the United Way and YMCA.

“We want children to be in situations where they are safe and supervised by trusted adults; where they are able to focus on their education; and where their interactions with other people are limited, so as to minimize the risk of COVID-19 transmission,” Miller said. “What we don't want are parents quitting their jobs to stay home with their school-age children.”

Next, Secretary of Health Dr. Rachel Levine offered some thoughts for parents and caregivers. She recommended sending students with an extra mask and hand sanitizer in their backpack.

She also recommended educating children on proper handwashing and not touching their faces. But most importantly, she said to explain COVID-19 in a calm manner.

“We can all lead by example,” Levine said. “Work to minimize their anxiety and their fear.”

Secretary of Education Pedro Rivera reminded parents and caregivers to stay involved as schools craft their back-to-school plans, which continue to evolve with the pandemic. He said they should maintain a dialogue with their district, ask questions and share their concerns.

“Families need to be comfortable with how their children are being educated and need to make the best decision for their families,” he said.

While much of the state's discussion Wednesday was about preparation, Miller also presented an awareness campaign.

The first was for people to be aware that child abuse is still a major issue, and currently, it's being underreported. Miller said one-third of the 39,000 reports made last year were by school employees.

“Back in the spring when schools closed, we saw a roughly 40 to 50 percent decline in child abuse reporting, and that makes sense,” Miller said.

Miller also reminded the public that her department offers other services for families, such as Medicaid, Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) and Children's Health Insurance Program, among others.

All three of these programs can be applied for anytime online.

“These are basic needs we all have, and there is no shame in reaching out for help when you need it,” Miller said. “You are under a lot of pressure right now, but you are not alone in this.”

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS