Site last updated: Sunday, August 16, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Nation

Mayor wants to build memorialORLANDO, Fla. — Orlando’s mayor says he wants the city to purchase the Pulse nightclub and create a permanent memorial for the 49 people who were killed there during a June shooting.Mayor Buddy Dyer mentioned the city’s interest during a radio interview that aired Wednesday.Dyer said he’d like the gay nightclub to remain in its current state for the near future, continuing to act as a temporary memorial as people come from around the world to pay their respects.Pulse spokeswoman Sara Brady says the club’s owner has met with city officials, but talks were preliminary.Besides those killed, another 53 people were wounded during the June 12 attack. Gunman Omar Mateen was killed in a shooting with police.,b>Transit officer gets terror chargeALEXANDRIA, Va. — For years, authorities had concerns about Metro Transit Police Officer Nicholas Young: He traveled to Libya and boasted of joining rebel groups there, and he even described his collection of Nazi memorabilia to law enforcement, according to court documents. But until last month, authorities said, he hadn’t committed a crime.Now Young, 36, of Fairfax, Va., is the first law-enforcement officer in the U.S. to be charged with a terror-related crime, after prosecutors say he bought about $250 worth of gift cards in an FBI sting for someone he thought was working with the Islamic State group. Young was arrested Wednesday at Metro Transit Police headquarters in Washington and charged with a single count of attempting to provide material support to a terrorist group.According to an FBI affidavit, Young bought the gift cards last month intending that they be used by the Islamic State group to purchase mobile messaging apps. But the person he gave the cards to was actually an undercover FBI officer, the affidavit said.If convicted, Young could face up to 20 years in prison.

At least 33 troops contracted ZikaMIAMI — At least 33 U.S. troops, including a pregnant woman, have tested positive for the Zika virus, U.S. military spokesmen said Wednesday. Ten of those troops are men who answer to the Southern Command (Southcom), the Pentagon subsidiary with oversight of troops in Latin America and the Caribbean.Southcom spokesman Jose Ruiz said those 10 got infected in five locations — Brazil, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, Jamaica and Martinique. They serve in all five branches that answer to Southcom, he added, the Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Marines.The 10 “are all asymptomatic now,” said Ruiz, meaning they’re not currently sick. All were tested between February and July. In addition, a woman relative of a U.S. service member working for Southcom got the infection in one of those five countries, he said. She is not pregnant and is asymptomatic, too, he said.

More in National News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS