Manziel offers apology to Browns teammates, vows changes
BEREA, Ohio — Johnny Manziel says the party’s over. The Browns want to believe him.
The high-profile rookie quarterback apologized to his Browns teammates — and Cleveland fans — Monday for a season of distractions and vowed again to change.
Manziel was fined over the weekend by the team after he missed a medical treatment for a hamstring injury. Manziel said he overslept, but denied he threw a party Friday night that also caused star wide receiver Josh Gordon to miss a team walk-through and draw a suspension for the season finale in Baltimore.
Just last week, Manziel, who made two starts after replacing Brian Hoyer, promised a new approach.
Johnny Football said he means it this time.
“It’s about actions,” he said. “It’s about being accountable and doing what I’m going to say.”
The Browns have heard Manziel make similar promises in the past.
“He realizes this, that at some point, talk is cheap,” coach Mike Pettine said. “To me, the actions are much more important than what he says.”
