Site last updated: Wednesday, May 20, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Butler Twp. man charged with assaulting toddler

Devin Revel

A Butler Township man is accused of assaulting his girlfriend's 1-year-old child.

Butler Township detectives charged Devin D. Revel, 34, with felony counts of aggravated assault and child endangerment as well as a misdemeanor count of simple assault.

Revel was arraigned Wednesday by District Judge Kevin O'Donnell. He was then placed in Butler County Prison on $100,000 bail.

According to charging documents, detectives received a report Sept. 7 from Childline, an abuse reporting network.

The report said the 1-year-old boy was brought to UPMC Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh on Sept. 6 with facial and head injuries.

“(The mother) advised the injuries occurred while she was at work overnight,” said the investigating detective. “Revel agreed and stated the child had fallen off a chair on their balcony and hit his face and head on the balcony railing.”

Detectives said a doctor from the hospital told them the account did not match the injuries. The doctor also sent photographs to the detectives and further explanation.

“First, there were three marks on his left cheek that were consistent with finger tip bruises,” detectives said. “There were several on his lips that indicate multiple separate impacts.”

The child also had a broken blood vessel and bruising on the left eye; bruising to the right eye; and swelling to the right side of his face.

The doctor also pointed out another set of injuries involving the head on which blood dripped down and pooled at certain locations.

“(The doctor) stated this injury would be consistent with being forcefully picked up by the hair and not a fall,” detectives said.

The doctor's photographs also showed other marks on the boy's neck, chin and chest areas, according to detectives.

Detectives said they questioned the mother Sept. 8 for more details.

The mother told detectives she had noticed something earlier Sept. 3. She said Revel had taken her son from the home to allow her to sleep, but when the two returned the boy had a red mark on his nose. She said Revel told her it was from a car door, but there were no other marks on the child at the time.

On Sept. 5, she said she left for work around 10 p.m. and returned around 7:15 a.m. Sept. 6. She told detectives she immediately noticed the injuries and rushed the boy to the hospital.

“(The mother) advised that Revel had been drinking prior to her leaving for work on Sept. 5,” detectives said. “Additionally, he told her the fall took place around 10:30 p.m. to 10:45 p.m., shortly after she left. The two had communicated overnight, but Revel never told her about the fall.”

A preliminary hearing for Revel is scheduled Sept. 16 before O'Donnell.

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS