Howard-George case moves forward after continuation
James Howard-George will go to trial for a case in which he allegedly had sex with a 15-year-old girl.
Howard-George, 28, of Butler, again appeared virtually Thursday for a continuation of his preliminary hearing that had been delayed since Monday due to technical difficulties in playing video evidence.
Howard-George is charged with three felonies, including statutory sexual assault, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse and corruption of minors. He also is charged with a misdemeanor count of indecent assault on a minor.
Howard-George also had been charged with felony aggravated indecent assault, but District Judge William Fullerton dismissed that charged at the conclusion of Thursday's hearing.
“I didn't hear any testimony that fit the description of aggravated indecent assault,” Fullerton said. “I'm going to dismiss that, but everything else will be held for court.”
Before the judge made his decision, the prosecution, led by Assistant District Attorney Laura Pitchford, submitted video evidence, played on a laptop in front of Fullerton, Howard-George and his public defender, Michael McFarland.
The videos came from a witness in the case and a friend of the girl who Howard-George allegedly had sex with at a party.
“They're all Snapchats, so they're all in snippets,” Pitchford said to Fullerton.
The laptop was angled to include only those three people, but the audio played into the courtroom. Music and the voice of the girl recording could be heard in the background of the video clips, which ranged from five to 12 seconds each.
After the video was submitted, neither Pitchford nor McFarland offered an argument. Fullerton brought attention to the charge he wished to dismiss, and Pitchford agreed with his analysis of the law.
For this case, Howard-George is scheduled to appear next for a formal arraignment in the Butler County Court of Common Pleas.
Howard-George also is awaiting a formal arraignment for a different case in which he allegedly assaulted a 17-year-old girl he was dating at the time.
Howard-George has been on parole since Jan. 30, when he was sentenced for his guilty plea regarding his involvement in the murder of a 26-year-old Butler woman. Howard-George had pleaded guilty to helping his friend, Ishemer Ramsey, 25, burn and hide the woman's body in Lawrence County in 2017.
