Millions still needed for Catholic high school
CRANBERRY TWP — The Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh must raise about $10 million in the next two months to start construction as planned on the new Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School.
Diocese officials previously said they’d like to start construction on the new school by early spring, but only if they had gotten more than $15 million to help pay for the early stages of the project.
But according to Secretary of Education Father Kris Stubna on Tuesday, the diocese only has about $5 million.
The high school, which would be on 71 acres near Cranberry’s border with Seven Fields, is projected to hold more than 1,000 students.
Officials anticipate the total project will cost $62 million to $67 million, at least $46 million of which will be related to construction costs.
Stubna said diocese officials will make a determination by March on the final cost of the project as well as how much money they have and how to proceed with construction.
Stubna said the diocese will not reach its goal of opening next year unless construction starts soon.
“If we can’t break ground by late spring, the school will not open in 2013,” he said.
