Site last updated: Friday, August 21, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Egypt's top Muslim cleric warns of civil war

CAIRO — Egypt’s top Muslim cleric today is warning of civil war and says he will go into seclusion at his home until the bloodshed ends as a show of protest.

Sheik Ahmed el-Tayeb also called for the transitional period that began following last week’s ouster of the president to be limited to six months.

In a statement he says he will go into seclusion until “everyone shoulders his responsibility to stop the bloodshed, instead of dragging the country into civil war.”

El-Tayeb is the grand imam of the Al-Azhar Mosque, the world’s primary seat of learning for Sunni Muslims, the vast majority of the world’s Muslims.

El-Tayeb’s statement today came hours after clashes between security forces and supporters of the ousted President Mohammed Morsi left at least 42 killed.

More in Digital Media Exclusive

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS