Site last updated: Saturday, May 23, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

County adds 24 cases; death toll remains at 25

Other states use phone app alert

Butler County added 24 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in two days, and the state's COVID Alert phone application has seen expanded functionality in other states.

According to Friday's report by the Pennsylvania Department of Health, Butler County added 24 confirmed cases since Wednesday's report.

Since the beginning of the pandemic, 994 county residents have tested positive for the virus. The county's death toll remained at 25.

After reporting zero inpatient cases Wednesday at Butler Memorial Hospital, Butler Health System reported four new hospitalizations, three patients suspected of having the virus and one who has tested positive. So far none of the patients are being treated in the intensive care unit.

In a news release Friday, Gov. Tom Wolf said fellow northeastern states of New Jersey, New York and Delaware now have their version of the COVID Alert phone application, and the app will work between states.

The COVID Alert PA app launched late last month. It uses Bluetooth technology to anonymously alert the user when a person in their proximity has been exposed to COVID-19 and in turn has exposed them to the virus.

“States throughout the region have been working together to combat this pandemic, and this is one more tool for our interstate cooperation,” Wolf said. “Pennsylvanians stand united with our neighbors in adding our phones to the fight to stop COVID-19.”

Created by the Pennsylvania Department of Health along with other partners, the app is free and voluntary.

Health officials have said that the more people who use the application, the more effective it will be.

Since its release, 180,000 Pennsylvanians have downloaded the app. Pennsylvania has an estimated population of about 12.8 million residents.

“The governor is grateful to everyone who has already downloaded the app, but continues to encourage every Pennsylvanian 18-and-older to download and make their phones part of the fight against COVID-19,” said Lyndsay Kensinger, a spokeswoman for the governor's office.

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS