County man still waiting for crack at land speed record
BONNEVILLE, Utah — A Butler Township man still is waiting for a chance to break the land speed record. He's been waiting two years.
The competition that Rob Freyvogel was to compete in to break the record this weekend has been canceled.
The World of Speed event, which was to be Saturday through Tuesday at the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah, was canceled due to poor weather.
Freyvogel, an engineer and the president of Carbinite Metal Coatings in Forward Township, has been working for several years to break the record.
Freyvogel said Friday that he was disappointed the event was canceled, but said his next opportunity to break the record will be at Mike Cook's Bonneville Shootout on Oct. 12-16.
He and his crew started designing the car, named “Carbiliner,” in 2009 and began building it in 2011.
In 2013, rain canceled two events he was supposed to compete in. Then in October of that year the federal government was shut down, which led to the shuttering of the site.
Last year, rain canceled all of the events that Freyvogel planned to compete in. This year, the Speed Week event in August was canceled due to rain.
The steel vehicle is 28 feet long and weighs about 3,000 pounds.
