Ravens release Ray Rice after new video surfaces
BALTIMORE — The Ravens have terminated the contract of running back Ray Rice after a new video surfaced this morning showing Rice hitting then-fiancee Janay Palmer in an Atlantic City casino elevator in February.
The video appears to show that after each hit the other in a Revel casino elevator, Rice threw a punch with his left fist, knocking Palmer off her feet and into a railing. A previously released video showed the aftermath, with Rice dragging his now-wife out of the elevator.
The release of the new video by TMZ Sports comes less than 24 hours after the Ravens lost 23-16 to the Cincinnati Bengals with Rice serving the first game of a two-game suspension, and 10 days after the NFL announced more severe punishment for domestic violence.
Coach John Harbaugh and Ravens players are expected to speak about this tonight.
An NFL spokesman said league officials had not seen the video from inside the elevator until today.
“We requested from law enforcement any and all information about the incident, including the video from inside the elevator,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said. “That video was not made available to us and no one in our office has seen it until today.”
In announcing the new domestic violence penalties on Aug. 28 after public backlash to Rice’s two-game suspension, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to all 32 NFL owners that he “didn’t get it right” when he handed down Rice’s punishment in July. The new penalties include six games for a first offense and a potential lifetime ban for a second offense.
Rice, 27, was charged with felony aggravated assault in the case, but in May he was accepted into a pretrial intervention program that allowed him to avoid jail time and could lead to the charge being eliminated from his record.
The release of the video comes as the Ravens prepare to play the Pittsburgh Steelers in a nationally televised game Thursday night in Baltimore.
