Details of Obama's immigration plan emerge
WASHINGTON — As many as 5 million people in the country illegally would be spared from deportation and made eligible for work permits but not entitled to federal benefits — including health care tax credits — under President Barack Obama’s immigration plan, officials said today.
Obama will travel to Las Vegas on Friday to discuss the executive actions.
The White House would not confirm Obama’s travel plans or the purpose for the visit. But Obama is to speak at Las Vegas’ Del Sol High School, a school with a large population of non-English speaking students where Obama unveiled his blueprint for comprehensive immigration legislation in 2013.
Republicans are vehemently opposed to the president’s likely actions.
An immigration bill passed the Senate last year, but stalled in the Republican-led House. Obama vowed this summer to instead pursue changes to the immigration system using his presidential administrative authority.
One official familiar with the administration’s planning said the beneficiaries of Obama’s new executive action would not be able to receive federal government benefits, including health care tax credits, and would be treated in the same manner as those immigrants who were shielded from deportation and who became eligible for work permits under an Obama directive in 2012.
The 2012 executive action deferred deportations for immigrants who came to the United States illegally as children.
Those immigrants covered by the 2012 action can obtain work permits but are not eligible for food stamps, federal welfare benefits or disability benefits under the Supplemental Security Income program.
They also are ineligible for tax credits under Obama’s health care law, though they can buy health coverage at full price on the exchanges created by the law.
Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said today that Obama’s executive actions will be comprehensive and include border security measures.
