Penguins' Dupuis out for 6 months with blood clot
PITTSBURGH — Pittsburgh Penguins forward Pascal Dupuis has been diagnosed with a blood clot in his lung and will be out of the lineup for at least six months.
The clot was identified during testing Monday after Dupuis had complained of discomfort in his chest.
“Pascal had a blood clot in his leg that traveled to his lung,” said Dr. Dharmesh Vyas, the Penguins’ team physician. “This is the second such incident that we know of for Pascal. The treatment is at least six months of blood thinners, during which time he will not be able to play hockey. Other than that, his condition is stable.”
Dupuis, 35, previously was diagnosed with a blood clot in January 2014, shortly after he suffered torn ligaments in his knee. He was on blood thinners for six months while also recovering from surgery and rehabilitating his knee.
Dupuis was cleared to return to the lineup in October and had six goals and 11 points in 16 games this season.
“Our focus at this point is on Pascal’s health and well-being,” Penguins General Manager Jim Rutherford said. “He will have all the support he needs from the Penguins organization and our medical staff.”
Dupuis, a native of Laval, Quebec, has played 853 NHL games in 14 seasons with the Penguins, Minnesota Wild, New York Rangers and Atlanta Thrashers.
