Site last updated: Friday, August 21, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Jury selection starts in homicide case

TIONESTA, Forest County — Jury selection was to begin today in the trial of a Butler County woman accused of gunning down her husband last year at the couple’s camp in Tionesta Township.

However, opening statements and testimony in Ruth Maxine Angert’s trial are not to begin until Feb. 20.

Angert, 59, of Clearfield Township pleaded guilty in May to charges of attempted aggravated assault and involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting of 68-year-old Larry Angert.

But a month later, a Forest County judge allowed her to withdraw the plea, setting the stage for the trial on homicide and other lesser charges.

State police said Angert shot her husband with his own .38-caliber revolver during an argument Nov. 17, 2012, at their camp on Tubbs Lane.

Angert told investigators that her husband pushed her to the floor and grabbed her neck. She claimed she grabbed the revolver and that it fired, hitting her husband as they struggled for the gun.

Forest County District Attorney Elizabeth Ziegler said she has made no decision on what levels of homicide Angert would face at trial.

Angert remains in the Warren County Jail without bail.

More in Digital Media Exclusive

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS