Site last updated: Saturday, August 22, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Steelers cut LB James Farrior, DE Aaron Smith

PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers continued their offseason roster purge Friday, announcing that veteran linebacker James Farrior and defensive end Aaron Smith will be released by March 13.

“Both Aaron and James have given their all during their time in Pittsburgh, and we appreciate their efforts and leadership they gave us,” team president Art Rooney II said in a statement.

Farrior and Smith served as the backbone of a defense that led the franchise to two Super Bowl titles and three AFC championships over the last decade, a period in which the Steelers defense finished ranked in the top 10 in the league every season.

The duo join wide receiver Hines Ward and guard Chris Kemoeatu, who were told earlier this week they also will be cut as the team addresses salary cap concerns and an aging roster, particularly on defense. Nose tackle Chris Hoke retired in January due to lingering neck problems.

The 37-year-old Farrior, a two-time Pro Bowl selection, had 78 tackles in 14 games last season. Though he stayed relatively mostly injury free in 2011, Farrior was due about $2.8 million in 2012, and the Steelers are making a series of moves to get under the projected salary cap of around $120 million.

Farrior was so highly respected by his teammates they named him a defensive captain in each of his final eight seasons.

One of the top defensive ends in the league during his prime, the 35-year-old Smith has struggled staying healthy in recent years. He ended the 2007, 2009 and 2011 seasons on the injured reserve.

More in Digital Media Exclusive

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS