Site last updated: Friday, June 14, 2024

Log In

Reset Password
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Camper damaged by fire

A newer tow-behind camper caught fire and ignited a shed Saturday morning in Cherry Township.

West Sunbury Volunteer Fire Department firefighters were called at about 10:40 a.m. Saturday to reports of a fire in the 200 block of Moniteau Road.

Capt. Gage Ariss of West Sunbury VFD said crews found the camper on fire in the woods on the owner’s property.

The camper had ignited a nearby shed as well.

Ariss said the camper sustained heat damage, but the shed and its contents, a lawn mower and leaf blower, were destroyed.

A propane tank in the camper exploded during the fire, Ariss said, but no injuries were reported.

He said firefighters backed a fire truck into the woods and doused the flames with about 1,000 gallons of water.

He did not know what started the fire or the damage amount to the camper and shed.

Marion Township and Unionville volunteer fire departments assisted West Sunbury, Ariss said.

Crews were on scene for about an hour.

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required