More threat charges leveled
BUTLER TWP — A Butler man's tweets have landed him in trouble for a second time, and this time the alleged threats he made are keeping him in jail.
Gary D. Ray, 50, remains in Butler County Prison in lieu of $100,000 bond, despite his attorney's call Thursday for a bond reduction in the case involving two counts of misdemeanor terroristic threats.
District Judge Kevin O'Donnell denied that request, which followed his moving of the case forward to the Butler County Court of Common Pleas.Ray allegedly tweeted an indirect threat on the social-media platform.Ray, who appeared virtually, was represented by public defender Michael McFarland, who argued he understood the prosecution's concern, but the charges were an overreaction and should be dismissed.“They don't know exactly what he's referencing here,” McFarland said. “He's just ranting on a Twitter account.”Assistant District Attorney Terri Schultz said the threats go beyond a social media “rant” and he had the means to carry out some of his threats.“In this day and age, that's certainly with intent to terrorize,” Schultz said. “I think we'd be remiss to not take this seriously.”Butler Township Sgt. Thomas Vensel testified that his department has received complaints about 23 threatening tweets from Ray's account since 2018.“My favorite is when you say I can't kill all of you for what you pulled on me. I made a list and a map. I figure I could take 50 to 60 of you out before a 911 call was made,” said one of the latest tweets that was reported to police.Vensel also read a tweet that depicted a scene in which Ray claimed he would like to round up people he did not like, put them in a pool and throw a hair dryer into it.Vensel said he interviewed the people who reported the latest tweet, and they are familiar with Vensel and believe he owns weapons.“I spoke with family who believe he has a shotgun, a rifle and a handgun,” Vensel said.The prosecution also examined another case, filed in February, in which Ray has been charged for terroristic threats after he allegedly threatened multiple people, including a Children and Youth Services employee, involved in a custody dispute.According to charging documents in that case, the employee reported a telephone conversation they had with Ray in which he threatened another person involved in the custody battle.“I wish you would all die, not just them,” was a quote allegedly made by Ray in the affidavit.In court Thursday, Vensel said there were recorded social media posts by Ray at that time, aligning with those threats too. He had been released on his own recognizance following those charges.McFarland objected to the submissions of that testimony.“It's unfair and painting him in a very bad light,” he said.O'Donnell allowed the testimony to stand, and he agreed with the prosecution that the bond should remain the same, considering it was uncertain at whom the threats were specifically aimed because of the use of the word “you,” rather than a name.For the latest set of charges, Ray is expected to appear for a formal arraignment Aug. 17 in Common Pleas Court.Ray has a status conference scheduled July 12 before Common Please Judge William Shaffer for the case filed in February.
