Site last updated: Friday, May 22, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Suit dropped against Allegheny Co. board

Parnell, Negron reach ballot settlement

Candidates for two U.S. House of Representative districts in the region have dropped a federal lawsuit against the Allegheny County Board of Elections after both sides came to an agreement over incorrectly mailed ballots and “satellite” election offices in Allegheny County.

U.S. District Judge Nicholas Ranjan of the Western District dismissed the suit Monday after Sean Parnell and Luke Negron, the plaintiffs, met with representatives from the Allegheny County Board of Elections and other defendants over their concerns.

Parnell is challenging U.S. Rep. Conor Lamb, D-17th, for representation of a district that includes Cranberry Township. Negron is a Republican running against incumbent U.S. Rep. Michael Doyle, D-18th.

The lawsuit was filed Oct. 16 by Thomas King and Thomas Breth, lawyers in Butler County.

The suit was brought up on two points. The two plaintiffs claim that Poll Watcher Certificates were never given to two Republicans after they requested to poll watch satellite offices established in Allegheny County. And the second point was related to 28,879 voters in Allegheny County who received incorrect mail-in ballots in October because of a mapping error.

“Parnell and Negron feel that the entire election process should be as transparent as possible,” Breth said.

During a recent meeting, the two sides were able to come to an agreement. For the poll watcher issue, Allegheny County officials assured them that the offices are open to all members of the public and nothing would be done to impede public access.

“We're happy we received that,” Breth said.

But for Breth, the more important issue was the matter of the incorrectly received mail-in ballots. According to Allegheny County, those people had received the wrong ballot with candidates not in their voting district. The county's board of elections sent the voters the correct ballots afterward. But an issue arose for voters who had already mailed out the incorrect ballot or for those who mailed out the incorrect and the correct ones.

Under the agreement reached between the parties, the board of elections decided to only count votes for the candidates that those people are allowed to cast votes for. Any votes cast in the incorrectly mailed ballots will be discarded.

“You don't need to be a judge or have a law degree to understand that's the appropriate way to handle this situation,” Breth said.

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS