Site last updated: Friday, May 22, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

2 school districts take big steps

Butler grades 7-12 go virtual

As pandemic figures have increased in recent weeks, schools across the county had a busy week adjusting to COVID-19, with Butler Area and Allegheny-Clarion Valley school district the latest to make major decisions.

“I don't take this lightly, and I understand this is an enormous burden for our families,” said Butler Superintendent Brian White. “We want to be open.”

The data drove the decision, according to White, who said the threshold listed for the secondary schools for community spread was 40 cases per 100,000 residents in their zip code areas. He said the total number of cases within their district's community region reached 85.28 new confirmed cases total this week.

White said there is some flexibility in the data, which allows for those living in congregate care facilities, not those who work in them, to be left out of the data. Even with this exception, the district saw about 60.1 new confirmed cases in the past week.

“This is what we said we were going to do all along,” White said. “You have to follow the plans you put out there.”

White also said the district had been struggling with staffing because employees, including teachers, were under quarantine. He said by moving to remote-learning, those teachers who are not ill or experiencing symptoms, can resume teaching from their home.

The remote learning will affect children in grades seven through 12.

Those from kindergarten through sixth will continue attending school at the district's buildings.

White said the secondary students were given a different threshold for community spread because it was never possible to perfectly distance the students from one another.

“We have more kids than we have space,” he said.

White said he will re-evaluate the numbers and make a definitive decision each Friday regarding a return to school.

“This is not a closure for the rest of the nine weeks of the school year,” he said. “Where the data takes us is where we'll go for the rest of the week.”

Also reacting to COVID-19 on Friday, Allegheny-Clarion Valley School District Superintendent David McDeavitt posted a statement on the district's website, announcing a closure for at least five days.

As part of the update, McDeavitt said the district had one more person from the district test positive. They have had three total confirmed cases in the district since the school year began.

“In addition, we also have 16 people who are now on quarantine,” said McDeavitt in the announcement. “We have been working closely with the DOH and have contacted all 16 people earlier today to inform them of the quarantine due to their close contact with a COVID-positive person.”

Initial plans are to resume face-to-face instruction Wednesday with students participating in distance learning Monday and Tuesday.

On Wednesday, the Seneca Valley School District announced the closure of the Ryan Gloyer Middle School due to COVID-19 concerns with its students moving to remote learning until at least Nov. 10.

According to Friday's report by the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the county added 50 new confirmed cases in the past two days with 23 added Thursday and 27 added Friday.

The county's average new caseloads have been increasing over the past few weeks. As of Friday, the county has averaged 19.6 new confirmed cases per day for the past two weeks.

In the entire month of September, the county averaged about eight new confirmed cases per day.

Hospitalizations have also incrementally increased in recent weeks.

According to Friday's report by Butler Health System, Butler Memorial Hospital now has seven inpatients, an increase of one from Wednesday's report. All seven have confirmed cases of the virus, and two of those patients are being treated in the intensive care unit.

Other school districts in the county reported new cases of COVID-19, although no other county schools announced any steps involving closures or moving to remote learning.

Moniteau Area School District alerted its community to its first case of COVID-19. District Superintendent Tom Samosky alerted parents and posted on the website. A risk assessment was completed by a representative from the state Department of Health.

“A member of the Moniteau School community informed the district that they had tested positive for COVID-19,” the alert said. “It has been determined that there is no continued risk or known exposures that would require others to quarantine or isolate.”

In later comments, Samosky said the district will continue working with local, regional and state departments and organizations on monitoring the status of the virus in their community.

“We believe by working together, we can make decisions that support the well-being of our students and staff members,” Samosky said.

COVID-19 in other districts

On Thursday, South Butler School District reported one Knoch High School student tested positive and had attended school Monday and Tuesday. The student felt ill Wednesday and has since tested positive.

“I would like to commend the student and family involved for their caution in staying home when the symptoms began and for the quick action in testing and alerting us to the test results so quickly,” said Superintendent David Foley.

Foley said contact tracing is being conducted and the state Department of Health has been contacted.

Earlier in the week, Mars Area School District also announced one new positive case present in its schools. The district underwent the same measures.

More in Local News

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS