Site last updated: Monday, May 18, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
MENU
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Bucs' Walker off to Mets

Pine-Richland graduate and veteran Pirate second baseman Neil Walker was traded to the New Yorek Mets Wednedsday for pitcher Jonathan Niese.
Left-hander Niese comes to Pirates in 1-for-1 trade

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The New York Mets quickly bounced back after losing out on their first choice of second basemen, acquiring Neil Walker from the Pittsburgh Pirates on Wednesday for left-hander Jonathon Niese.

The Mets had made it known they were targeting Ben Zobrist as their No. 1 goal this offseason. But on Tuesday, the All-Star free agent chose the Chicago Cubs and former manager Joe Maddon.

“He’s a guy we had on our short list but didn’t know if he’d be available, and we view him as a real positive alternative to the deal we were looking to do the other day,” Mets assistant general manager John Ricco said about Walker at the winter meetings. “He fits on a lot of different levels — a switch-hitter, he’s got some power.”

The Mets also were reportedly working toward signing free-agent shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera, who would likely be an offensive upgrade over Ruben Tejada and Wilmer Flores.

Walker fills the hole created when postseason star Daniel Murphy became a free agent after New York lost the World Series to Kansas City.

“It’s certainly weird,” Mets manager Terry Collins said of losing Murphy and Niese, two of the team’s longest-tenured players. “Even when things were tough here, they were two guys who stood out and played well for us.”

Walker is eligible for arbitration. He earned $8 million last year — after losing in arbitration — and can become a free agent after next season’s World Series. A Silver Slugger winner in 2014, he batted .269 with 16 homers and 71 RBIs last season for the Pirates, his hometown team.

“It’s an exciting opportunity, obviously, with the success the Mets have had this past year,” Walker said on a conference call. “Obviously, there’s mixed emotions being a born-and-bred Pittsburgher.”

Walker was one of Pittsburgh’s most popular players, and the Pirates even built a marketing campaign around him when he was called up to the big leagues in 2009. But general manager Neal Huntington had indicated he wasn’t going to pay market rate for a 30-year-old infielder with a history of back issues.

Walker flatly said “no” when asked if he received a long-term offer from the team.

“I have no ill feelings toward anybody in Pittsburgh, in the organization,” Walker said. “Certainly given the circumstances with how being from Pittsburgh and never knowing anything else and coming up through the system and having a lot of ups and downs, definitely something that was unfortunate, I guess you could say.”

Huntington said Josh Harrison will take over at second base and Jung Ho Kang is expected to shift to third next season after he is fully recovered from a takeout slide that left him with a broken leg and torn knee ligament.

“We certainly feel earlier than later and recognize there is some inherent risk,” Huntington said of Kang.

Huntington identified several options if Kang is not ready, including Alen Hanson, a touted 23-year-old prospect who spent last season in Class AAA.

More in Professional

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS