Site last updated: Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Gun permit requests shoot up in county

Concealed-carry gun permit applications went up in Butler County significantly in November compared to a year ago.

It is hard to determine if that increase is related to the recent mass shootings in the United States and elsewhere.

Chief Deputy Sheriff Mark Peffer said there has been in increase in residents seeking these permits in the past few weeks.

“It has jumped,” Peffer said.

In November, 624 people applied for permits, which is nearly double the number last year. In November 2014, 346 people applied.

Peffer said the applications for December appear to be increasing along the same lines as November.

On Nov. 13, terrorists killed 130 people in Paris. On Nov. 27, a gunman killed three people in Colorado. Then, on Wednesday, 14 people were killed in an attack in San Bernardino, Calif.

Although Peffer cannot pinpoint these attacks as the exact reasons more people are applying for permits, he said applications do go up after serious attacks.

He said there was a spike in applications after the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012 — where a gunman killed 26 people at an elementary school in Connecticut.

At Sportsman’s Supply in Summit Township, store manager James Osche said he has seen an increase in gun sales. However, he said he cannot really attribute it to a reaction to the recent attacks.

With the holidays and hunting season under way, this is the busiest time of year for sales, he said.

“Every year at this time of year it’s busy,” Osche said.

Fenelton Firearms in Clearfield Township also has seen a jump in sales.

Manager Brent McLafferty said it likely is due to the time of year, but also due to the shootings.

“I would say it’s both right now. People are definitely a little nervous,” McLafferty said.

More in Digital Media Exclusive

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS