Governor: Arrest in Bavaria may be linked to Paris attacks
BERLIN — A 51-year-old man arrested in Germany last week with weapons in his car may be linked to the Paris attacks, the governor of Bavaria said today.
A spokesman for Bavarian state police confirmed earlier today that firearms, explosives and hand grenades were found when police stopped a man near the German-Austrian border on Nov. 5. Ludwig Waldinger declined to confirm reports by public broadcaster Bayrischer Rundfunk that the man appeared to be en route to Paris when he was arrested.
Responding to questions about the Paris attacks, Bavarian governor Horst Seehofer said: “In the course of spot checks we had an arrest where there are reasonable grounds to assume that there may be a link to the matter.”
He didn’t elaborate in his comments broadcast by Bayrischer Rundfunk.
Citing unidentified investigators, the station reported documents found during the arrest indicated the man was from Montenegro and was traveling to Paris. It also reported the weapons, which it said included an automatic rifle and one kilogram of TNT, were professionally hidden inside the body of the car, a VW Golf.
Rainer Wendt, chairman of the German Police Union, said security agencies appeared to have been tipped off the man was planning to enter Germany.
