DUI suspect in prison after failing to go to rehab
A suspected serial drunken driver remains in prison while awaiting a list of pending cases.
Dean M. Minto, 45, of East Butler landed in the Butler County Prison after law enforcement authorities learned he had failed to enter a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility as promised.
“I think we’re all better off where he’s at,” county District Attorney Richard Goldinger said.
Minto is accused of driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol — or both — on county roads four times since March.
His most recent cases were filed last week after Butler Township police and Butler police arrested him on consecutive days for driving while impaired on drugs, according to court documents.
But Minto’s no show June 8 in county DUI Court for two other drunken driving cases is why he’s in prison.
Goldinger, aware of the mounting cases against Minto and concerned for the safety of other motorists, sought to get him off the road and in prison.
On May 28, Goldinger filed a motion to revoke Minto’s non-monetary bond set in the initial drugged driving cases. A hearing on the motion was set for June 8, to coincide with Minto’s previously scheduled DUI Court date.
But the hearing was continued after Goldinger was told that Minto had entered an inpatient rehabilitation facility.
On June 10, Goldinger said he learned that Minto was not only not in rehab, but he was allegedly was using drugs.
“I wasn’t happy when I realized he wasn’t in rehab,“ Goldinger said, “and he didn’t show up for court.”
Goldinger on Thursday filed for a warrant to arrest Minto for failing to appear for court June 8. County Judge Tim McCune signed it and sheriff’s deputies picked up Minto.
He will remain jailed at least until his next DUI court appearance or until his attorney seeks a bond hearing.
