Steelers, Roethlisberger OK contract extension
PITTSBURGH — The Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have agreed on a contract extension to keep the franchise cornerstone in black and gold beyond his 12th NFL season.
The team announced the deal Friday on Twitter without giving details. Roethlisberger and Steelers President Art Rooney II were expected to speak during a news conference Friday evening.
The move keeps the two-time Super Bowl winner in Pittsburgh beyond a previous deal that was set to expire after the 2015 season.
The 33-year-old cornerstone of the franchise threw for 4,952 yards last season, breaking his own team record and tying with Drew Brees for the most yards passing in 2014. Roethlisberger also had 32 touchdowns and nine interceptions.
Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert said last month that negotiations with Roethlisberger had begun with the goal of keeping him with the team for the rest of his career. Colbert said at the time he believes Roethlisberger can remain among the NFL's elite for the better part of the next decade.
The extension comes as the Steelers have been trying to address other serious needs, mostly on defense. Jason Worilds, one of the league's better free-agent linebackers, announced his retirement earlier this week at age 27, even as he was poised for a big payday as a free agent. Pittsburgh signed Arthur Moats to a three-year contract on Monday.
