Suh to Dolphins; Murray visits Eagles
The free agency frenzy, trading outbreak and stunning retirements of the first day of the NFL’s business year gave way to one headliner Wednesday: Ndamukong Suh.
Miami signed the All-Pro defensive tackle and top prize in this year’s free agent crop to a $114 million, six-year contract. It made Suh the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, surpassing J.J. Watt’s $100 million, six-year deal with Houston.
They expect him to plug the line against the run, and threaten — and sack — quarterbacks.
“I’m excited about the pressure,” Suh said, referring not to the pass rush but to the expectations that come with such a contract. “I don’t necessarily look at it as pressure. I look at it as something I’m built for.
“This is the ultimate team sport. There’s no way I can do it by myself. I want to be a cornerstone. At the same time our quarterback is going to be a cornerstone, Ryan Tannehill, who I have a lot of respect for: No. 1 because he has taken my hits.”
They played each other last season, a 20-16 Detroit victory.
Also, All-Pro running back DeMarco Murray will visit Philadelphia on Thursday, a person familiar with the meeting said. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity Wednesday night because the Eagles haven’t announced the visit. Philadelphia agreed to a three-year contract with running back Ryan Mathews earlier in the day, according to two people with knowledge of the deal.
It’s a no-lose situation for the Eagles. If they don’t get Murray, they’re helping drive up his price for the rival Dallas Cowboys. Murray helped the Cowboys win the NFC East title last season while rushing for a franchise-record 1,845 yards. He broke the Dallas record held by NFL career rushing leader Emmitt Smith and also set a league mark with eight straight 100-yard games to start the season.
Green Bay re-signed right tackle Bryan Bulaga, ensuring that the NFL’s highest-scoring team will keep its entire offense intact for 2015. The deal is believed to be for five years and $34 million, with an $8 million signing bonus.
Days before Bulaga came back, the Packers re-signed receiver Randall Cobb.
Some second-tier quarterbacks were on the move Wednesday.
The Jets acquired Ryan Fitzpatrick from Houston, and he was replaced there by Brian Hoyer.
Fitzpatrick, 32, is expected to push Geno Smith for the starting job with New York. He reunites with Chan Gailey, who coached Fitzpatrick in Buffalo and is the Jets’ new offensive coordinator.
Hoyer, formerly of the Browns, will compete with Ryan Mallett with the Texans. Mallett was re-signed earlier this week.
In other moves Wednesday:
Chicago agreed to terms with three-time Pro Bowl safety Antrel Rolle on a three-year deal, and LB Pernell McPhee on a five-year contract.
Kansas City and offensive guard Paul Fanaika have agreed to terms on a three-year deal, a person familiar with the negotiations told The Associated Press.
Cincinnati refortified its offensive line be re-signing G Clint Boling and OT Eric Winston, the president of the players’ union.
Tampa Bay released DE Michael Johnson, an expensive free agent the Bucs added last year, and tackle Anthony Collins. They also agreed to a four-year, $20.5 million deal with linebacker Bruce Carter.
St. Louis traded with Houston for backup QB Case Keenum and also re-signed TE Lance Kendricks.
Minnesota re-signed DT Tom Johnson, who had 6 1-2 sacks in 2014, and added QB Shaun Hill to back up Teddy Bridgewater.
New England added to its receiving group by signing Brandon Gibson and Kevin Dorsey and re-signing Brian Tyms.
Oakland bulked up its defense with DT Dan Williams and LB Curtis Lofton.
