Pentagon confirms death of Somalia terror leader
WASHINGTON — The Pentagon today confirmed the death of the leader of the al-Shabab terror group, Ahmed Abdi Godane, who was the target of a U.S. airstrike Monday in Somalia.
The Pentagon’s press secretary, Rear Adm. John Kirby, confirmed the death in a brief written statement. The White House declared a counterterrorism success.
“Godane’s removal is a major symbolic and operational loss to the largest al-Qaida affiliate in Africa ...,” a White House statement said.
U.S. officials had said after the strike on Monday that U.S. special operations forces using manned and drone aircraft had destroyed an encampment and a vehicle. But they did not confirm that Godane had been killed until Friday.
The State Department declared al-Shabab a terrorist organization in February 2008.
Kirby said on Tuesday that in September 2013, Godane had publicly claimed al-Shabab was responsible for the deadly Westgate Mall attack in Nairobi, Kenya.
“Under the leadership of Godane, al-Shabab has claimed responsibility for many bombings, including suicide attacks in Mogadishu and in central and northern Somalia ...,” Kirby said Tuesday.
