Archbishop pulls 5 priests in Philadelphia
HARRISBURG, — Five parish priests were permanently removed from ministry and two others were cleared to return to duties by the Roman Catholic archbishop of Philadelphia. The decision by Archbishop Charles Chaput followed an investigation into allegations of misconduct or sexual abuse.
The church has not disclosed details of the allegations against the five priests, who were placed on administrative leave after a scathing grand jury report in February 2011.
Diocesan spokesman Ken Gavin said Sunday the announcements were made after Chaput met with the men last week. All seven remain priests. The archdiocese said it made counselors available for parishioners. It said the five priests can appeal the decisions to the church hierarchy in Rome if they wish.
By The Associated Press
