Site last updated: Friday, August 21, 2026

Log In

Reset Password
Butler County's great daily newspaper

Intel agency lawyers urge keeping secret data

WASHINGTON — Senior national security lawyers today told an independent oversight board examining U.S. surveillance programs that the government needs to keep its innocent Americans’ telephone records despite growing efforts in Congress to shut down the program.

The lawyers also told the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board during a hearing that a secret overseas Internet data-gathering program exposed last week was not an attempt to evade scrutiny by a federal intelligence court that supervises such operations.

Top officials of Google and Yahoo have criticized the program, in which the National Security Agency reportedly tapped into fiber optic cables that funnel the data overseas. The government did not dispute that it tapped the cables overseas for Internet traffic but said it wasn’t doing so to avoid U.S. legal restrictions.

If Congress were to shut down the government’s collection of Americans’ phone records every day, which it has been secretly doing since 2006, “we wouldn’t be able to see the patterns that the NSA’s programs provide us,” said Patrick Kelley, acting general counsel of the FBI.

He added that the FBI would not be able to weed out significant phone data if it did not have the NSA’s massive data bank to tap into, and would lose valuable time if it had to instead seek the data from individual phone companies.

The NSA’s general counsel, Rajesh DeDe insisted that the program was not an attempt to avoid the supervision of the Federal Intelligence Surveillance Court.

He said news accounts about the program contained inaccuracies but didn’t say what they were.

More in Digital Media Exclusive

Subscribe to our Daily Newsletter

* indicates required
TODAY'S PHOTOS