Syrian troops subue rebellious Damascus suburb
BEIRUT — Syrian troops have regained control of a rebellious Damascus suburb after a 10-day assault that left dozens dead, hundreds wounded and caused a major humanitarian crisis, activists said Saturday.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights and local activist Mohammed Saeed said troops recaptured Douma outside the capital late Friday.
The latest campaign was the worst of several assaults on the area, with dead bodies left in the streets, the Observatory said.
“The situation in Douma is catastrophic. The suburb is badly destroyed,” said Saeed via Skype, adding that he was among dozens of residents who on foot through the fields to safer areas for fear of being captured by security forces.
Douma has been a hotbed of dissent since the uprising against President Bashar Assad began in March last year.
