City to turn street into pedestrian plaza
A city street will be blocked off for about three months this summer to create an urban park where community events can take place.
Butler City Council on Thursday night approved closure of West New Castle Street, between Jackson and Main streets, from June 9 through Aug. 25.
Butler Downtown manager Chelynne Curci said the area would become a “pedestrian plaza,” complete with picnic tables and a variety of community events.
That events list will be clarified in coming months, Curci said, but Butler Downtown’s Summer Jams concert series, which were held monthly last year in the former Woolworth’s lot at the corner of Main and East Cunningham streets, will move there.
