Butler County's great daily newspaper

Six overdoes in nine hours tax Butler police, emergency crews

August 16, 2017 Digital Media Exclusive

Advertisement | Advertise Here

It was an especially long night Tuesday for first responders serving on the front line of Butler's opioid crisis.

“It was quite the flurry of overdoses last night,” said Capt. Kevin McAfee of the Butler Fire Department.

There were six apparent opioid-related overdoses, in all, in less than a nine-hour span in the city. Four of those ODs happened in less than two hours.

No one died. All but one of the victims — ranging in age between 22 and 39 — were revived with Narcan, the anti-opiate medication that has become a cutting-edge defense in the war on drugs.

Separate from those cases in the city, a 28-year-old Oakland Township woman also suffered an overdose Tuesday night at her home.

The first of the calls to the county's 911 center came in at 3:19 p.m. for a man down and out on the ground at a home on the 300 block of Eau Claire Street near Reo Street.

Emergency crews noticed the contraband that had fallen out of the man's pockets. Five empty stamp bags of suspected heroin, said Butler police Deputy Chief David Adam.

The man, later identified as 27-year-old Cody T. Pyle of Chicora, was unresponsive but breathing. Butler Ambulance Service medics administered Narcan, which awakened Pyle.

He refused further medical treatment.

At 6:07 p.m., a 911 caller reported that a 25-year-old man had overdosed on North McKean Street at St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church.

But by the time responders got there, the man had fled, Adam said. Police checked the area but could not find him.

The night's last suspected overdose call came in just before midnight at an apartment on the 300 block of Virginia Avenue where Joelle Lees, 34, lives.

She was unconscious on the living room floor. Two children, ages 7 months and 9 years old, were also in the apartment. A police report did not indicate if Lees is the mother of the children.

Lees got a dose of Narcan and regained consciousness. She acknowledged snorting a bag of heroin. She, too, refused hospital treatment.

Adam said a Childline report was made and Butler County Children & Youth Services officials were notified.

The father of the 9-year-old girl later arrived and picked up his daughter.

All the cases, police said, are still under investigation.

A full report will appear in the Butler Eagle.

Share this article: