BUTLER TWP — Seven people are temporarily homeless following a house fire early this morning along the 300-block of Homewood Drive.
The fire started about 12:15 a.m. in the basement of the three-story house, which was renovated into four apartments.
Rochelle Dutter, who lived on the second floor, said the fire started in the kitchen of the basement, adding the blaze engulfed the lower level and filled the rest of the home with smoke.
A cat on the third floor of the building died due to smoke inhalation, but none of the seven adults who lived in the building was injured.
There were no children in the home.
The house was condemned and all utilities were shut off.
Dutter said firefighters told her it will likely take four to five months of repairs for the home to be livable again.
The American Red Cross was called to assist the families and arranged for their lodging at a motel in Cranberry Township.