Marketplace   Menu Guide   Complete Pages      
butler eagle
Site last updated: Thursday, November 20, 2014 Bookmark our site!
Local PennsylvaniaNationalInternationalNews Extras  
Published: December 3, 2012 print this article Print save this article Save email this article Email ENLARGE TEXT increase font decrease font

Carbon monoxide sickens 42 students in Atlanta



ATLANTA — Potentially lethal carbon monoxide levels at an Atlanta elementary school with no detectors sent at least 42 students and seven adults to hospitals today and forced 500 more to evacuate, authorities said.
Young children with oxygen masks over their faces were strapped to gurneys and others carried to ambulances by emergency officials at Finch Elementary School in southwest Atlanta. Four students reported passing out at the school, according to hospital officials.
A teacher and a cafeteria worker were also among those treated.
Firefighters found unsafe levels of carbon monoxide near a furnace at the school with a reading at 1,700 parts per million, said Atlanta fire Capt. Marian McDaniel.
The colorless, odorless gas can be deadly at that concentration, said Stephanie Hon, assistant director of the Georgia Poison Center.
Superintendent Erroll Davis praised school officials for quickly evacuating after children started getting sick and said officials were considering installing carbon monoxide detectors in schools. Finch Elementary did not have a detector, he said, though he did not know whether any other district schools had detectors.





Back
Comments
Order Photos!
 
MORE NEWS HEADLINES
arrow Final 2 Pa turnpike case defendants plead guilty
arrow HEADLINES
arrow Fire levels Jackson cottage
arrow Mass. town ends bid to ban tobacco sales
 
MOST READ ARTICLES
arrow After 4-hours, gas meeting to continue Dec. 29
arrow Where’s our paver?
arrow Police take man out of township meeting after outburst
arrow Angry outburst gets speaker tossed out