Marketplace   Menu Guide   Complete Pages      
butler eagle
Site last updated: Friday, September 19, 2014 Bookmark our site!
Local PennsylvaniaNationalInternationalNews Extras  
Published: December 3, 2012 print this article Print save this article Save email this article Email ENLARGE TEXT increase font decrease font

Carbon monoxide sickens 42 students in Atlanta



ATLANTA — Potentially lethal carbon monoxide levels at an Atlanta elementary school with no detectors sent at least 42 students and seven adults to hospitals today and forced 500 more to evacuate, authorities said.
Young children with oxygen masks over their faces were strapped to gurneys and others carried to ambulances by emergency officials at Finch Elementary School in southwest Atlanta. Four students reported passing out at the school, according to hospital officials.
A teacher and a cafeteria worker were also among those treated.
Firefighters found unsafe levels of carbon monoxide near a furnace at the school with a reading at 1,700 parts per million, said Atlanta fire Capt. Marian McDaniel.
The colorless, odorless gas can be deadly at that concentration, said Stephanie Hon, assistant director of the Georgia Poison Center.
Superintendent Erroll Davis praised school officials for quickly evacuating after children started getting sick and said officials were considering installing carbon monoxide detectors in schools. Finch Elementary did not have a detector, he said, though he did not know whether any other district schools had detectors.





Back
Comments
Order Photos!
 
MORE NEWS HEADLINES
arrow Long funeral procession shows love of young boy
arrow White House starts drive to prevent campus sexual attacks
arrow Pens start scheduling use at complex
arrow County man dies in Route 68 crash
 
MOST READ ARTICLES
arrow Summit Twp man charged in child sex case
arrow Boy, 4, dies of injuries from ATV accident
arrow Wasn’t raised that way
arrow POLICE REPORTS